Southern Hospitality

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London Calling



What a difference a day makes. I had originally planned to post about a bit of an embarassing moment that President Bush had at G8, pointing out how similar it was to a particular The West Wing episode (strangely enough, the only episode of The West Wing that I have seen), and even more strangely enough, it was the second time in the past year or so that he had an incident with a bicycle. But when I got home today, I learned about the bombings in London, although I had heard bits and pieces about it at work.

My thoughts go out to the people of London and the United Kingdom. It certainly is such an unfortunate turn of events there. The UK had been on cloud 9 these past few weeks, with leadership and activism from the British people with Live 8, with Tony Blair's leadership in trying to get the West to invest in more aid to Africa with the G8 Summit, and with yesterday's announcement that London would host the 2012 Olympic Games.

I'll end with the second verse of the British national anthem:

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall.
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save the Queen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home